Journalism Photo Essays Describe everyday “Glitches”




On Friday the 10th of November at 18:30pm the journalism exhibition for the student’s photo essays themed “Glitch” will be on show.

The following first year students work will be exhibited; Carissa Marnce, Daegan Martin, Mandisa Magubane,  Mqondisi Myeni, Lwazi Khuboni, Nomfundo Khumalo, Thobani Dlamini, Thubelihle Dumakude, Sibulelo Dlamini and Tsheboeng  Seitlhamo.

Lwazi Khuboni first year student said, that his photo essay was about a glitch in society and since a glitch is a problem I focussed more on poor service delivery from the local government.

“The reason why I chose service delivery as the glitch I see in society is because, I grew up in the township and poor service delivery has been going on for some time now”, said Khuboni.

As a first year student at first I thought this is impossible because, a glitch is a word that mostly used as electrical error but then as time went on my lecturers and tutors explained it more thoroughly to me said Khuboni.

“I walked around my community took pictures of everything that I felt it was the local government’s responsibility to fix and aligned my essay well to tell a story”, added Khuboni.

Jeeva Rajgopaul Photography lecturer said, part of DUT's Digi Fest 2017 it is how first year journalism students in photography have identified glitches in their environment, areas as future photojournalists.
“Students have interrogated the Digi Fest theme of "Glitch" and have interpreted same visually, examining their environment, areas they live in”, said Rajgopaul.

Thobani Dlamini first year journalism student said, his photo essay was revolving around poor living environments people live under in the following areas of Clermont, KwaShembe and Emapheleni.


“I think it is only fair to me to atleast get that kind of recognition because, I worked extremely hard to put together this project with limited resources, I just hope it evokes the kind of emotions I wanted it to and persuades people to pay attention and change other’s misfortunes”, said Dlamini. 

-Mongi Khanyile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fashion’s Khaya Mchunu receives award from DUT Council

Journalism HoD Awarded Erasmus mobility scholarship at Valladolid University in Spain

Graphic Design Third Year and BTech students showcase their work