Journalism Alumni Returns from Cardiff University

UK high commissioner in SA Dame Judith Macgregor handing over a scholarship certificate to Chevening scholar Sphelele Ngubane. 

Former DUT journalism student and Mercury Newspaper journalist, Sphelele Ngubane has returned to South Africa after completing his Masters in Journalism, Media & Communications at the renowned United Kingdom’s Cardiff University.

The university has a reputational school of journalism, media and cultural studies, especially research quality.
It was ranked number one on the chart of universities offering journalism and PR studies by the Guardian University Guide 2017.

“Understanding that my career path was leading to academia and having sought advice from professionals and academics ahead of me I decided to go to Cardiff,” said Ngubane.

“What also interested me was that there were more than 30 large-framed photos by South Africa’s very own photojournalists telling the Apartheid story.  These include veteran photographers Peter Magubane and Alf Khumalo” 

Ngubane continued, “Since my educational background was at a university of technology and I was now in a traditional university doing a research-oriented degree, I had a challenge adapting to the style I was not familiar with. However with the luxury of being allocated a personal tutor, I got the hang of it within a few months into the programme.”

Ngubane said, from the journalism school’s office to the residence office, they all offered world-class service.

“What stood out for me inside the classroom were vigorous debates and discussions with viewpoints from different corners of the world.  I learnt a lot about other places as much as I would believe they also learnt a lot about SA from myself,” continued Ngubane.


Cardiff University is a public research university in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom. It was founded in 1883 as the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire.  Cardiff University is the ninth-largest university in the United Kingdom by enrollment (30,675 total students).

-MONGI KHANYILE 

Comments

  1. Thank you for writing valuable blog and sharing this with us. Many of my friends are moving to Cardiff University for their higher education, They are actively doing research about the University Details as they wanted to know the culture and education system of university so they can gel up easily with the University easily. I will surely refer your blog with them,


    Thanks & Regards
    Student Accommodation Cardiff

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fashion’s Khaya Mchunu receives award from DUT Council

Journalism HoD Awarded Erasmus mobility scholarship at Valladolid University in Spain

Graphic Design Third Year and BTech students showcase their work